Everything and anything about the way we work

Why do we work in the way that we do? How will we work in the future? What would make your working life better? These are some of the questions I want answers to. Please contribute, your comments are important and may find their way onto the Guardian website.

Monday 21 April 2008

Tempted? Always.



My Zimbio
Top Stories

Looking after the content on a jobs site is a constant battle of restraint. Every day I am tempted by job ads and every day I face a daydream of a different life, a different location, a different salary ...
This is a particularly onerous on days when the weather is at odds with the time of year ie; snow in spring.

There's a particularly tempting job being advertised at the moment in Italy. It's for a community editor. They don't specify the actual location but just the mention of Italy is enough to transport me on to a piazza, sipping a glass of Amorone in dappled sunshine.

And if a recent report on working abroad by the Centre for Future Studies, I wouldn't even have to take a pay cut. In fact I would be looking forward to a 43% rise.

It's not just in the rest of the world, though, where temptation lies. Closer to home, the idea of working in Brighton and emailing from the beach as you can with the free WiFi access now, is really appealing.

Just in land a little from Brighton there's a project editor job in Lewes. Which some will argue is better than Brighton to live. I could start on my costume now to join the locals in celebrating the downfall of the Gunpowder Plot - apparently what Lewes is most famous for. Carry a torch through the streets and let off some fireworks.

Today however the one which has caught my eye is based in Dublin: content manager for Getty images. I have always quite fancied living in Dublin (not that I have actually been there). It appeals to my literary persuasions. A small enough city which I could walk round, an exciting and developing economy, especially around new media, 167 different languages to choose from ...where's my CV?

The question is of course, would changing my location improve my quality of life? Or would everything just be the same? Has a change in your location changed you?

No comments: