Everything and anything about the way we work

Why do we work in the way that we do? How will we work in the future? What would make your working life better? These are some of the questions I want answers to. Please contribute, your comments are important and may find their way onto the Guardian website.

Monday 21 April 2008

Spend, spend, spend!



My Zimbio
Top Stories
With all the talk of tightening the purse strings and the doom and gloom of the predicted economy, I wonder whether all of those collecting their first pay packet this month will have the luxury of blowing it all on frippery?

So much of our adult lives is spent being cautious - preparing for a downturn, keeping an eye out for disaster and actually in debt (the average adult now owes £33,000) - that it should be compulsory for a first pay to be indulged.

I spent £150 of my first pay on knickers. That was nearly 20 years ago, so it was a ridiculous amount of money.

I will never forget the enjoyment of watching my underwear being parcelled up with tissue (a particularly apt wrapping) - or the feeling of pure wantonous. It is a memory I have often recalled in my more salient moments of trying to balance my large outgoings with my smaller incomings. I am glad therefore that I took the chance when I could, to be indulgent.

Did you? What did you spend your first pay packet on?

No comments: